I made quite a few alterations to the Elegant Oriole kit! I thought folks might be interested in a labeled photo indicating the stitches I used. It’s practically a sampler.
I’ve decided I adore Cretan stitch, but I definitely need more practice with it. You can get a variety of effects depending on how you spread the stitch out, and I’d like to play around some so I can control which effect I get. At the moment it tends to wobble around a bit.
I’m also a huge fan of the layered lazy daisy stitches in the bottom blue-purple flower – I’ve used them before and they always look fantastic. Portuguese stem stitch (the brown branches) is another stunning stitch that’s fairly easy to pick up.
For reference, here’s the unlabeled photo of the finished piece: