Chikankari class: Part 2

I made some progress with my chikan work over the weekend (from Anita‘s stitch-a-long class). I added some variegated thread in blue and yellow. Here is the back of the work – this is double back stitch so from the back it looks like herringbone.

Take a closer look at the front of the work. The thread on the front looks like a back stitch outline of the design, but the herringbone in the back colors in the shapes. Pretty cool!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Indian embroidery, My work and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Chikankari class: Part 2

1. Anita says:

I like the blue variegated thread.All the lines will be covered by stitches.Don’t worry if we miss,the marks will wash out .

2. Mosaic Magpie says:

I like how you added the different colors. I have begun the stitchingit seemed to have a rythmn and fun to stitch.
    Deb

3. Rachel says:

It’s a delightful effect, and a great way to show off skills in starting and finishing threads!

• Hannah says:

Well, I haven’t really finished the threads yet! I am leaving them dangling until I am quite sure I won’t need the extra length for a correction to something.

4. Raphaela says:

Exquisite stitching!

5. Elmsley Rose says:

It’s very cool! And pretty! I’m really looking forward to seeing what other stitches you learn, and the finished piece. šŸ™‚

6. Yikes! I’m taking the same class and my stitches look awful compared to yours! I read that you’re using a chiffon fabric – is it cotton, or is it synthetic? Because I stuck with cotton, but the only fabric I could find was a very loosely woven voile, and I’m having the hardest time doing the double backstitch! Looking at your beautiful work I wonder if I should get one of the synthetic chiffons that I can find in town.

What would you say?

Isabelle

• Hannah says:

Mine is synthetic chiffon. It’s real easy to stitch on, actually. Perhaps it would be worthwhile for you to at least try it out? The stuff is pretty cheap – I got mine at Joann’s for $8 a yard.

7. Jaan says:

I truly am enjoying your Chikankari class, but I have had to stop for a short bit as we are getting ready for a weeklong trip. But, really, I am greatful for your class, and pray that you have many more. THANKS a MILLION!!